Stuck in the '70s

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Of Feet and Florida

These are some exciting times.

I guess I've always been one of those people resistant to change -- which would explain why I claim to be "stuck in the '70s." However, I have always liked the latest electronic gadgets such as any computer evolution, digital cameras, digital voice recorders, PDAs, etc. I dunno. I guess when it comes to life changes I'm reluctant.

Anyhoo. ... I went and saw the bone doctor Wednesday. That was a bummer. I waited 2 1/2 hours for the bastard. His time is obviously worth more than mine. He came into the room for 2 seconds (I literally counted "one one-thousand, two one-thousand" in my head - and he was gone). He asked what was wrong with my foot. I said I thought that was up to him to determine. He poked at my heel with his forefinger and thumb & muttered something about me needing an "injection," then he scurried out the door and told the nurse waiting there to give me the injection. When she appeared with a huge needle, attached to a gallon jug of some clear liquid, I said, "Wait just a minute ... I have some questions about this." Then, I started to cry. It was out of frustration, and perhaps a bit of wimpiness. I'm not a sissy at all when it comes to pain, and so, I'd mostly like to think it's out of frustration. I want a doctor to at least take a couple minutes to explain some things and answer some questions. She said she'd get the doc and I could ask my questions. Finally, after another half hour or so, he came back in and immediately started slatherin' my foot up with some iodine or some such crap, preparing to shoot that thing into my heel. I asked my questions and barely got them out before he was pounding that gallon jug of cortezone stuff into my foot. In answer to my "how long is this going to help?" question, he said "three or four months." In answer to my "when will it feel better?" question, he said "a day or two."

Well, doc, it's been three days, and my foot still hurts like hell. That didn't apparently do. As I've talked to several others at "work" about this situation, those in similar categories said these are miraculous shots that bring instant relief. Hello! Didn't happen. Guess I shall see by getting in touch with said doctor's office Monday and seeing how much longer I'll have to wait to see what the next step might be. But, I would indeed like to begin walking again and not hurt.

Last Saturday night, my brother Mike and I went to Powhatan, Ark., on a ghost hunt with my ghost-huntin' group. The courthouse and jail were really cool; built in the 1880s. I hadn't been on a ghost hunt since last August. I was rarin' to go, but my bladder and foot were not. We made a couple of map errors (and by "we," I mean "I"), so it took us 2 hours to make a 43-mile trip. It was cold, dark and misty by the time we got there, and my heel was achin'. We had brought cots and planned to camp out in the courthouse. However, there were no bathroom facilities inside the courthouse. We would've had to venture outside in the middle of the night (and I knew I'd have to more than once) to use the facilities. So, we cut out before midnight, but had an enjoyable time, and I think the group may have captured some good evidence among us.

Don and I went to Harrisburg Thursday night to meet the boys' dad halfway between here and Memphis. They'd spent the first part of spring break there with their dad. It was a quiet several days around here, but it sure did go quickly, and major life changes are taking place. During the week, number one son turned 17 on Wednesday. Unbelievable. At that age, I had my '73 Monte Carlo and was cruising to the mall to meet my mates at every opportunity. So, I feel for the teen when he wants to get out of the house and do something. I can't afford to help him get a car or insurance. And, he can't get a job if he doesn't have transportation. It's a viscious catch 22.

The sweet baboo has taken a second job to help defray the costs of living around here, bless his heart. He's helping to paint the new mansion of an un-named NASCAR driver who hails from this town and has decided to take over a Ford dealership and retire back here to his hometown which he denied ever being from for a few decades. I don't get into NASCAR and couldn't possibly care less about any of that rubbish, plus I know someone who was in the same class at the local high school and says he was always a jerk. But, at any rate ... the sweet baboo is working during the hours he's not at his "real" job with this paint company contracted to paint this mansion, so the kitchen remodel is on slow motion. However, I know the sweetie is anxious to get it done also, so he has been working the regular job, working the extra job and then coming home to work in our kitchen. The initial coat of orange paint for the walls is there, and the "pumpkin" colored countertops are supposed to come in Monday or Tuesday. So, he is working to get the walls done (ceramic tile flooring is all done) so he can move in the base cabinets and install the countertops and new sink and appliances. I'll post some pictures here as that develops further. Anyone I mention it to makes fun of me (except, of course, those of you who are also stuck in the '70s), but I will show them because this is gonna be the coolest-lookin' kitchen ever!

Most life-changing of all has been my contact with a Florida newspaper about a job opportunity. I had a phone interview with the newspaper for a copy editor's job last Sunday. I thought it went pretty well. The copy desk boss who interviewed me told me they didn't have it in their budget to fly me down there to complete the interview with the managing editor or editor-in-chief. But, a few days later, I got an e-mail saying they have decided to fly me there for the rest of the interview. I don't want to jinx anything, but this sounds really good. I'd not mentioned anything about job-hunting in another state to my dad because I didn't want to bring on un-warranted fretting. However, when I got the e-mail about the interview flight, I called Dad and told him the whole thing. He, of course, said he would miss me but says he doesn't want anything to stop me from "doing what (I'm) built to do." I told him we could be in constant touch via cell phones and e-mail, and of course, I would drop everything and come back here if he needed me at all. So, the flight is being arranged, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The sweet baboo and I are trying to work through all the details a major life-changing move like this would introduce, and I know we can deal with it. I've found a real keeper this time.

I was looking at his face during a discussion about this life change the other night, and I had this weird feeling of "he's always been here" come into my head. Only rarely do I have weird shite like that come into my head, and it's usually involving my mom or another family member or loved one. But, this time, it was a feeling as though Don had always been with me and would always be there. I feel that he's always been a part of me, and this whole thing is just falling into place as it should. We need to get out of our current situations, and God is just opening the doors. I pray daily that I make the proper decisions to benefit everyone involved. I don't want to screw anything up for anyone, and I only want to make things better for the rest of our lives. Sounds hokey, yes. But sincere ... yes.

Well, that's enough for this novel tonight. I'll write more as it develops. Please continue to drop me a line at julie@stuckinthe70s.com, or leave your comments here on the blog.

Julie

2 Comments:

  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger ptcitychick said…

    Julie,
    How thrilled I am for you! It seems that things are going that going great for you! You deserve it, girl! And you know what? One good thing happens in your life, then you walk differently, handle yourself differently, act more confident. Then things start turning around in your direction! Ain't life funny that way?
    I am most interested in your ghost hunting. I have always wanted to do that. Around here in the Atlanta area we have lots of haunted places!
    Keep all of us posted. All of us in cyberland are thrilled for you and your sweet baboo!
    Robyn- aka Ptcitychick

     
  • At 7:28 PM, Blogger Jess said…

    Julie - I love your blog, I check it all the time. I am very excited for you - I will keep my fingers crossed for you and this new opportunity! Also anxiously awaiting pics of the pumpkin countertops when you get them! Jessica

     

Post a Comment

<< Home