Stuck in the '70s

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Incomplete review

My review of the Captain & Tennille DVDs/CDs is not quite done. I almost had it done before Christmas, then life interfered. I'm gonna post what I have here so far, and on my next day off, I'll finish it up! Here goes ...

Welcome me back from a trip to the 1976-77 television season. I’m watching ABC and a television variety show featuring my two favorite people of all time (not counting Mom and Dad, of course) – Daryl Dragon and Toni Tennille aka The Captain & Tennille.

In the mail the night before last, I received the much-anticipated DVD set of “Captain & Tennille: The Ultimate Collection.” Much-anticipated by me, and others I am sure, since we have not seen any of these gems in almost 30 years.

I became a fan of Toni & Daryl’s in 1975 when I was 12 years old after hearing their Grammy-winning “Love Will Keep Us Together” on the radio. I saved up my allowances to buy the “Love Will Keep Us Together” and “Song of Joy” albums and was beside myself to learn they would be featured in the fall of ’76 in their own TV series.

Many who read my diary entries on my Web site now would be surprised to learn that I fell in love with Toni before I ever had thoughts about wanting to be the future Mrs. Daryl Dragon. I watched them on “The Midnight Special” and “American Bandstand” before they got their show, and Toni’s charisma, beauty and voice had me hooked. She was contagious. I wanted to be exactly like her when I grew up. Then, after the show came about, I fell for Daryl too; and going through puberty at the time, some of my thoughts were probably pretty inappropriate, I imagine.

When the show aired each week, I would hold up my audio tape recorder, before the days of VCRs and TiVo, and shush anyone else in the front room, lest their voices and coughs and such appear on the precious tape I’d play back and listen to again & again. Although I haven’t seen these shows in almost 30 years, they stick in my head, probably partly because of the old audiotapes I wore out, but mostly because the music was so memorable.

I knew at the time that Daryl was not likely the dork he was portrayed to be with his hat jokes and his love for the Bionic Watermelon and all. I could see he was a musical genius at the time, and it was confirmed with each vinyl recording I bought. I finally learned what a great person he really is, and also how much a “human” he is, when I sat and wrapped with him for over an hour in a park in my hometown in August 1978.

These DVDs are priceless to the true Captain & Tennille fans like myself, “the originals” as Daryl calls us. Your kids will find the comedy skits cheesy, and my youngest son got a chuckled out what he dubbed “the shirtless gay male dancers;” but nobody can deny the musical talent of Daryl and Toni.

I was really hoping for some commentary on the DVDs from Daryl and Toni, telling us their thoughts, feelings and experiences about making the show, so that is missing here. There are a few “extras” on Disc 3 of the 3-disc set, though, that are a lot of fun. Probably the best “extra” is the video of the Captain & Tennille’s hit single, “Do That to Me One More Time,” written by Toni about the way she felt after the first time Daryl kissed her. The song itself is beautiful, and those who missed the hatless Daryl in the New Orleans TV special in which they “buried” his hat, are treated to him sans yachting cap.

The old shows are a real reflection of the mid-’70s to be certain. Aside from all the gay disco dancers, which I don’t seem to have any recollection of, there are plenty of feathers, balloons, sequins and such.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger Monday Evening said…

    Hey there hows it going? I'm hoping you can help me. I work for a local school district here in Texas and we are trying to plan a Employees Awards Banquet. The theme for the banquet is The 70s. We're trying to get a cool slogan or saying to intice people to come. Do you have any sayings or catch phrases that were used back then? I'm only 22 and I don't know much about that era.
    Thanks again.

    Ryan
    Fell free to e-mail me rmsantaann@bisd.us

     
  • At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you could use "Take it easy" very popular saying in the 70's and come and "Take it easy" at the 70's party. The rock group the Eagles have a song title of the same name which came out in the 70's as well.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger meerelda said…

    "Keep on Truckin'", Far Out, Groovey, Outtasight!

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger ThoughtsInsideMyHead said…

    LOL at your inappropriate pubescent thoughts! Hey, Daryl Dragon was/is one good-looking man. I always thought those strong, silent types were pretty cool. I was never a huge fan of theirs, but I did like their show a lot.
    OT, 70's chick, I am sitting here listening to my favorite station, the 70's channel on XM radio. Do you have XM? It's so great to be able to listen to this music 24/7!!
    Totally groovy!

     
  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger snowywoodz said…

    I had their 'Song of Joy' album also. i bought it through columbia house. i ordered it along with 3 or 5 other albums and got a free transistor radio for joining the club. i tried to find a cd of that album on amazon but they don't sell it (at least i didn't see it anyway). I loved "Butterscotch Castle".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home