Stuck in the '70s

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Weather from the front porch


Current: 93F 3:37 p.m. CDT
High: 109F
Low: 80F
Precipitation: Trace (less than 1/4")

As many of you know, most of my diary entries in the late '70s started out just like I've typed in above. I was big into watching the weather man every night at 10 o'clock to see what the day's high and low temperatures had been. I recorded them every day in my diary, whether I was in Arkansas on vacation or at home in central Illinois. Well ... I had today off work and went in search of some weather equipment -- as cheap as I could find. We don't have a local TV station here in BFE, Arkansas, so the weather report (from Little Rock or Jonesboro) is not exactly accurate when I watch the news every night. Ends up, I'm sure, the $6 digital thermometer and $1.95 rain gauge are maybe almost as accurate as a local weather channel's. Says we got to 109 today on my new digital thermometer. Gosh. That's with the thermometer attached to the metal front door on the porch. It sure as heck felt like that outside. OK, enough of the weather report.

Went and got my semi-annual haircut today. I always go every six months (whether I need it or not) and get my hair cut. A gal named Julie (what could be cooler?) always does it perfectly. She was a little reluctant to cut it for me as short as I wanted today. It was getting pretty dang hot on my neck out in the lumber yard, loading those !@#$*!# appliances on customer's pickups, so I asked her to really give it a whack. As always, though, I stuck with my '70s feathered style. There is no one I've ever known who can do it exactly the way I want it like Julie can. She's the same age as me (or a little older -- is there anyone older than me?) and knows exactly what I want. In fact, she's been cutting '70s-style hair since it was originally "in." So, here's a self-portrait (never mind the double chin or overlapping upper lip) to show you just what a fine job Julie does in the feathering. Notice the detail and fine feathering job. Also, please, notice that there's not a gray hair in the batch. No coloring, just no gray yet (except for that one I found over the weekend, and it's long gone now). This should grow out into a fine Michael Gray shag.

I went and saw "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" a few days ago. I loved it. It wasn't raucously funny, but it was quite enjoyable. I'd sure like to find a guy like that. You know, about my age and half-way innocent and not putting sex as No. 1. Right ... anyway, the movie is brought to you by Judd Apatow of one of my all-time fave shows, "Freaks & Geeks." It also features Seth Rogen from "Freaks & Geeks." (Hint -- answer to contest right there, boys & girls.) Speaking of "Freaks & Geeks," I saw a preview while I was at the cinema for "Waiting." It's a movie that will probably suck which has in it John Francis Daley. This little cutie was born in 1985 (just four years after my oldest son) and played Sam Weir in "Freaks & Geeks." He looks exactly the same as in F&G but taller. Gosh! I miss Freaks & Geeks!!! "Waiting" is scheduled for an Oct. 7 release.

Also, while at the movies, I saw a commercial for Coke. Now, get a load of this ... they were doing the "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" bit, but they said "I'd Like to Teach the World to Chill." That's not the WORST part, though. In the middle of the song, the white guy playing the accoustic guitar broke out in RAP! Oh for gosh sakes! Rap, people. Rap sucks. Rap sucks worse than country. Rap takes no talent whatsoever. Rap is not music. Back in the day, we had the "Disco Sucks" people, and I'll give them that. I love disco. But rap, on the other hand, truly sucks. And, it's bad enough that every dang commercial on the television now features rap, you have to go and ruin the classic Coke song of the '70s with it? Ugh!!!!

I also saw a preview for the remake of the 1977 movie "Fun with Dick & Jane." This one's going to star Jim Carrey. Also brought to us by Judd Appatow. I love Jim Carrey, but I must say the Hollywood folks truly appear to be running out of ideas and can only gather entertainment from the '70s and rehash it. I'll be sure to check it out when it comes out Dec. 21.

Well, I guess that about covers it. The boys are home from school, and it's time to make the enchiladas. I'll try to write more often and do intend to use the blog as a diary as I can. Problem is, this thing goes out worldwide, and I can't exactly give you all the juicy details all the time as I could in the '70s when there wasn't as much "grown up" stuff happening. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more.

Stay cool,
Jules

6 Comments:

  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger badyoga said…

    hi, i found your 70s page by googleing up "70s", thanks for the trip back in time.

     
  • At 5:44 AM, Blogger LuAnn said…

    Hi Julie! LuAnn here. I follow your writing (always have), now on THE SITE. Be careful re: disparaging remarks toward supervisor types at work--I hope you haven't told them about your site!
    Glad I haven't seen the coke commercial re-make. ughh, I don't think I could stand it. I bet it made your stomach turn--kinda like hearing a remake of a classic rock song. That's plain blasphemy.
    Hey- hubby bought tickets to THE STONES concert!!!!!!!!!!
    LuAnn

     
  • At 7:52 AM, Blogger Julie, That '70s Chick said…

    Hey LuAnn!

    Glad you've been enjoying visiting the site. I don't think I said anything too terrible about the supervisor types. I did go back and remove one sentenece, however. Like I said, can't truly put everything in a blog and get away with it, can we?

    You got Stones tickets? Cool! I wa wanting to do that -- it's the chance of a lifetime -- but can't afford for all three of us to go. I'm sure it's probably sold out by now.

    Stay cool!
    Jules

     
  • At 11:15 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    Hi Julie!

    Although I don't remember ALL of the 70's (I was born in 1970) I do remember a lot of the 70's. As far as I'm concerned, I would LOVE to re-live those years.

    I really can relate to your desire to be in radio. Growing up, all I wanted was to be on the air. I was fortunate enough to get my first on-air job in high school, and never looked back!

    I eventually settled down and got into engineering (you know...engineers make all the money!) so I can make a living and stay in radio.

    Anyway, I love your site. Hang in there, and I'll keep thinking good thoughts for you!

    -Chris

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Blogger Meg said…

    Julie, you wrote: "She's the same age as me (or a little older -- is there anyone older than me?)" Yup. I'm going to be 50 on my next birthday. ARRRGG! I really enjoy your diary. I was looking forward to your last two years of high school, though. I hope you can find them and type them in soon.

    I kept diaries in my early teens but my older brother kept finding them and teasing me. I threw them all away just so he wouldn't have any ammunition. Now I wish I still had them. I started to keep journals again in 1975, though, so that's better than nothing for a retreat to memory lane.

    Take care.

     
  • At 2:42 PM, Blogger LESLBUTL said…

    Hey -

    I was thinking about Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific today. I can still almost smell it...which also led me to the thoughts of the original bright green VO5. Does anyone remember this. Heaven...

    I was born in 69, so I consider my self a 70's child and an 80's teen (which is even better) I remember both of the decades vividly. It was so much fun

    Sergio Valentes rock!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home