Stuck in the '70s

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Sweet 16

Number One Son is 16 years old today. Wow. Unbelievable. He's with his dad (and my son #2) for spring break this week. Only Tuesday, and I miss them already. How did he get to be 16 this quickly? The scary thing is, I remember being 16 -- CLEARLY. I'm gonna lose him soon. By the time I was 16, I'd already had my heart broken seriously once. There were other "boyfriends," but at 15 1/2, Buster (not even a boyfriend by the proper definition) was moving to another state, and I was sure it was the end of the world and life as I knew it. My poor sweet 16-year-old is the same way I was. I've already seen him with a broken heart twice. I'm gonna kick these girls' asses, I swear! Like me, he finds one, remains loyal, and won't let go -- for nothin'! I've come across some of his notes to them. I've seen his instant messages (yes, sadly, because the world is filled with weirdoes and perverts, I monitor him closely). I know he's poured his heart and soul out to a couple of girls who have walked all over him. My teen-age son is, in my humble opinion, what every girl would hope for. I'm hoping I've brought him up right, and he knows how to treat girls. He's extremely sensitive and caring (too much so). If he ever takes time out of his online role-playing games and looks at this, I'm in trouble. And, of course, he's a looker (gosh -- must take after me). This one somehow has always put others before himself. I'm sad I can't say that for little brother who is always looking out for one guy -- himself. Sweet 16 always knows how to read Mom's moods, always knows when to give me space, always knows when to steer his brother in what direction. Well, he's been the man of the house since he was 6. Both boys have always indulged me when it comes to my '70s stuff. They listen to my old boring stories of how things were when I was growing up. They've worn the "retro" clothes I've gotten for them, and neither one has complained. In fact, both seem proud to be different and would defend their old mom in any situation. The youngest, especially, likes to dress in '70s attire. The oldest is starting to grow out of that and get too cool. In fact, this past week, some girl or another suggested he comb his hair "forward" instead of back. He has beautiful thick wavy hair like his father and it doesn't require much work. I've always taught him to, when it's wet, just run that comb through it, straight back, and go on with your morning. But, at the choir festival (somehow this boy can sing) he was brushing his hair back before the performance and some girl smacked him over the head with a brush and told him to brush it forward. OK. I'm hip. I've seen Jesse McCartney -- he looks like he got in a southbound windstorm facing south. His hair is all combed to the front like he's going bald in back. His hair is also straight. This doesn't work quite so good if you have thick wavy hair. But, No. 1 Son is trying it anyway. After all, the chicks dig it. Thank goodness, both boys have strong opinions and don't outwardly care what others think. So, when it came time to sell some clothing on Ebay from the '80s, No. 1 asked what he could do to help. I used to wear boys' jeans and parachute pants because I was so thin I liked the way they fit (now called boy-cut jeans). No. 1 is tall and thin and fits perfectly into the old Levi's I had back in the day and the vintage '80s pants I'm willing to sell. So, he posed for pictures for Ebay. I told him I could cut him off at the waist or put a black rectangle around his eyes if he didn't want anyone to see who he was. "Aw ... I don't care," he said. Not easily embarrassed. Well, I happen to think both of my sons are Tiger Beat material. Guess I'm a bit biased. I went ahead and uploaded the pix for Ebay to sell the ol' parachute pants I bought in 1983 or '84, and No. 1 was a willing and seemingly seasoned model. I jokingly put in the description that the "cute guy" isn't included with the pants. (I remember Mom going through the Sears and JCPenney's catalogs, looking in the men's clothing sections, and saying "I'll take one of those and one of these in brunette.") My Ebay listing hadn't been up more than an hour before I got the first "question for seller." The prospective bidder asks what are the chances of getting more pictures of the "cute guy in the parachute pants"? Part of me (the part like my mom who pushed and pushed trying to get me to enter beauty pageants -- unsuccessfully) said, yeah, that's right, that's my boy. Another part said, "Wait a minute. I'll kick your ass."
So, what's the point of this whole blog entry? My son is 16 today. He and I -- we're both just going through a phase.
Stay cool,
Jules

5 Comments:

  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger meerelda said…

    Happy birthday to son #1, and congratulations to you for getting him there successfully! :)

    I know how you feel, I, too, can remember 16 all too clearly. Yikes! :) My little girl will be turning 11 April 4, and like you, I can't figure out how we got here so quickly! I can remember 11 pretty clearly, too. It seems that we were so innocent, naive and unaffected back then (you and I are 11 months apart age wise). I've struggled to keep my little one and my stepdaughter (she's 15 and is midly affected by Down's syndrome) little girls for as long as possible, and they've yet to dissapoint their dad or me. They're good kids, still love their Barbies (although they'd probably die before they'd admit it to the "cool" kids), still play baby dolls once in awhile and love the scooters, skateboards, bikes, the trampoline and pool. I was sick with the flu last weekend and most of last week, and both of my girls took turns waiting hand and foot on me, making sure that mama/chellemama was doing okay. Feels good when you know you've helped them develop a good, caring heart, doesn't it? My little one loves the 70s clothing, too, although the elder daughter is actually favoring a mild "goth" style of dress now. We are re-doing their bedroom in Brady Bunch style this summer. They finally got bored with the jungle theme and have decided on big, loud, colorful flower power and paisley designs this time. I've actually been searching E-bay for black light posters since that's high on their request list. Wow! Deja vu!
    Speaking of E-bay, I've bid on a couple of items, but always forget to go back and have lost out! I'll have to get on the ball, eh?
    You have a great spring break and Easter, and don't you worry. You'll never actually lose either boy. They'll always be there for mom. My husband is the only son out of 4 children, and you better believe when his mom needs him, he's right there for her, as he should be. Take care!

     
  • At 6:25 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    My daughter just turned 17 and that makes me feel old, but I remember being 16 like it was yesterday. I was 16 in 1976 and was very innocent then. I was very nervous around girls and was much too shy to ever ask a girl out. Since I was too shy and nervous to date, I wrote stories of love and romance. Having a 17 year old daughter, I have a good view into today's teenage life and it's so vastly different than in the 70s. Teens were far more innocent then. These days it's pretty scary. I'm happy that my daughter is a good kid and does well in school. She has her belly button and tongue pierced because all her friends had it done. I enjoy listening to classic rock and my daughter loves rap. It seems the songs of the 70s had meaning, but today they're meaningless. My daughter actually tried to get me to comb my hair forward so that I would be a "cool" dad. At my age, I'm just happy to have hair.

    Happy birthday to your son!

    Paul

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Diane said…

    I can absolutely relate. My oldest daughter graduates from high school in May. And believe it or not she hasn't had a major heartbreak yet. My baby (she hates it when I call her that) is 15. Right now she prefers to go to dances and such with a group of her girlfriends. Works for me :) It seems like just yesterday I was 18 and graduating. Felt like I was finally "grown up"; little did I know. My husband and I actually started dating when we were 17; this year, we celebrate our 22 wedding anniversary. How did that happen...lol.

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Blogger Allison said…

    Happy birthday to Son #1...I have a similar problem...my son is 17 and is getting ready to move to another country. He wants to study abroad in South Africa. Recently he has become very interested in Voodoo. I am beginning to fear for not only him, but also the ones who love him. Another problem is that he is bi-polar/suicidal...which is, believe-it-or-not, a deadly combination. I don't know why my son has found this sudden interest in Voodoo. He has always been the black sheep of the family.
    Now, to my little girl...i am starting to belive that she is following in her older brothers footstep. She has always looked up to him and strived to be like him. And now she is even thinking of going to South Africa after she graduates too.
    My husband is no help...he stays out until all hours of the night, and then comes home smelling of cheap perfume and alcohol. We've been married for 26 years and this has been going on for the past year.
    Please help...

     
  • At 4:04 PM, Blogger Drunk Glory Hole said…

Post a Comment

<< Home