Stuck in the '70s

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Blogging and the First Amendment


The First Amendment is free speech, right? You'll have to excuse me. It's been a long time since I took my Constitution test. We had to take it in eighth grade to go on to high school. My dad helped me remember a lot of the stuff for the test by remembering the first letter to some stuff (like a list of presidents and amendments). I also need to watch my Schoolhouse Rock DVDs again. I saw something on the news tonight about bloggers being fired from their jobs due to stuff they wrote on their blogs. Now, that's just crazy. It's about as crazy as the company in BFE that's firing people because they smoke. And Virginia is passing a law where anyone wearing pants that expose their undergarments will be fined 50 clams. Well -- I gotta agree with that one. I don't want to see your thong. As far as I'm concerned, and this is what I remember from when I was in junior high and high school -- thongs are those sandal things you wear on your feet in the summer, and if I can see your underwear, then you're a Polock. Remember Polish jokes? Thank you Archie Bunker.
At any rate, something you put on your blog should not affect your job. What you do in your personal life should not affect your job -- of course, unless you wear one of those thong underwear thingies and let people see it. Then you should be banished. If your pants are so short that people can see your socks between your shoes and the bottom of your pants legs, then you're a Polock, and you should be fined 50 smackers. Therefore, Michael Jackson is a Polock and we should add 50 bucks to his fines, court fees, punishment, whatever. I'm just kidding, people! I really am not a bigot -- I'm just comparing my growing up days to what's going on in the world now. Things have gotten so politically correct, that it's ridiculous. And this is coming from a woman who is a self-proclaimed liberal. At any rate, I would hope I won't be fired from my job over anything I put here on my blog or on my Web site. But, just in case, let me say that I won't be saying anything about my employer(s) or co-workers. Gosh darn, they're all just lovely. I need a backup plan. Can anyone help? When will things stop sucking? Where IS that wayback machine when I really need it?

2 Comments:

  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger meerelda said…

    Hey, Julie!

    I know where you're coming from. The new "pants" fine thing is just ridiculous (even though I do agree with you, and I think they look just awful!). I get angry that our country is working so hard to promote democracy elsewhere in the world, while here in our own country the government is slapping us with censorship everytime we turn around. The smoking issue is a perfect example. I mean, if that company succeeds, how long before some other joker decides that if we eat at McDonalds more than once per week we're subject to termination because of an increased risk of heart disease, obesity, etc.? That may sound ludicrous, but unfortunately, it's a frighteningly real possibility. Big Brother really IS watching us now. How about the FCC and the upsurdity of the power of fear they use in controlling our public television networks?

    I just wish that we could return to the simpler times of our youth. There weren't so many damn "issues". Not everything was taken so seriously and hurtful by folks. We knew how to "blow things off" and go on back then (for the most part, anyway). For example, there were two little girls caught at my daughter's school (elementary) writing on the bathroom walls. Kids have been doing stuff like that for years upon years! Instead of giving the kids a brush and Comet and making them remove their handiwork (can't do that...it's now considered corporal punishment), let's put them in ISS for 3 days + 3 days of suspension. I bet they enjoyed those 3 days at home watching cartoons, eh? :)

    In a nutshell, simplicity and innocence. Something I fear that neither of my daughters will ever have the good fortune of fully experiencing as their father and I did. Bummer!

    Thanks for one of the bright spots in my daily life! Love the website and even my youngest has recently taken an interest in the diaries! Take care!

     
  • At 4:00 PM, Blogger ShoeHound said…

    Amen! I am just coming out of a major battle with some biatches who threatened me with my blog. Great site you have here!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home