Stuck in the '70s

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Countdown to Eddie Munster

Hey youse guys! (remember that from the Electric Company?)

Wow, so much for the daily journal thing, huh? It's just not the same when you're an old lady with a full-time job, 2 kids and 7 or 8 cats to take care of -- trying to write in a daily diary -- as it is when you're a teen-ager in the 1970s and early 1980s with nothing to do but go to school, do homework and hang out with your friends at the mall. There doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to write in a diary. Plus, I guess viewpoints are just different once you've reached a certain age, had to deal with a divorce or two, burying a parent, fighting city hall, office politics, house foreclosures, shutoff notices, your kids' teen angst and general bitterness that comes with adulthood. It's just not so innocent to write in a diary, "Woke up. Went to work. Came home. Cooked supper. Took the kids to Scouts. ..." blah, blah, blah. Face it. I'm a tired old woman. :)

I have, though, been enjoying doing almost daily updates on my Web site. It does take me away from this bitter adult world and all the things a single mom has to deal with -- or any grown-up my age has to deal with for that matter. That sounds awful whiny.

Dad went back into the hospital yesterday, but he's going to be all right. Looks like they might spring him tomorrow. That'll be good. I've had waaaaaay too much drama over the past year and a half for my liking. I'm hoping for a very boring next several months.

I took a peek out into the old metal shed this weekend, trying to figure out where I've stashed my teen diaries. I want to type in 1980 and Jan. through June 1981 for those who would like to see how the high school years turned out. I couldn't find them right off the bat. Looks like that diary update may need to wait for spring cleaning.

I'll try to continue here with somewhat of a diary and make it as much fun as possible, as compared to the teen years. Of course, a lot of that was filled with heartbreak and various woes once you really look at it. Tonight, I'm just glad to be home, have my boys home safe and sound and watching TV in their rooms, Dad snug in his hospital bed, looking forward to getting back home with his aging bod. Home's a very comforting place ... a place where we can truly be ourselves. When you've taken someone into your home, exchanged some vows, and still don't feel like you can truly "be yourself," then you ought to know something is amiss, 'eh? You'd think. From here on out, I'll be nothing else. Hell, I'm not even gonna try. This is what I am after all these years, and this I shall be.

None of this make sense? I can't make much out of it right now either. That's the sad thing about looking back -- because we know what the future holds. All the optimism, dreams and hopes that didn't come to fruition. So, then, I say, stay stuck.

Here's to the '70s!
Cheers,
Julie

1 Comments:

  • At 1:38 AM, Blogger Wander said…

    Hey Julie,
    I really enjoy your web site and I enjoy reading your blog and I've really missed reading the column you wrote from the Arkansas Weekly. Hang in there and stay true to yourself. Things will get better!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home