Stuck in the '70s

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

APOLOGY TO TONY DEFRANCO

Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2004 -- PUBLIC APOLOGY TO TONY DEFRANCO FOR STUPID, STUPID MISTAKE Oh man -- I've never felt like such a blooming idiot in my entire life! Pull up a bean bag chair, and let me tell you about it.

Just a little background: Early this year, my husband-to-be (a radio producer) suggested I make a radio show from the stuff on my Web site. I did and we did. I used phone interviews with the Captain and Tennille, Jim Stafford, Donny Osmond, Mickey Dolenz, Davy Jones and others in the show. The fiance edited them all up nice for me and put the shows together (they'll be available soon on this site and have run numerous times on an Internet radio station). We put together 10 great shows with '70s music, trivia and stuff about my life in the '70s, along with the great interviews. Well, people wanted more, so I sought out more of my favorite '70s stars to try to interview and include. I was lucky enough to get my very favorite from the early '70s, Tony DeFranco, to agree to a phone interview. I talked with Tony back in February, and he was very kind, polite and accomodating.

Just after that, stuff kind of hit the fan around our household. The husband and I both lost our day jobs and were scrambling to make ends meet in some other way while dealing with various other garbage. At any rate, that's no excuse ... but we never got around to putting together any more of Stuck in the '70s radio shows. Husband put my taped interview with Tony on a CD at my request and handed it to me. When he gave it to me (I hadn't listened back to it), he said, "You sound like a giddy 12-year-old girl. I've never heard you so excited." Well, he was right, and I was so embarrassed, I couldn't stand to listen back to the interview myself, and I never have.

Later in the summer, I switched servers for my site, giving us much more Web storage space, so I decided I would start putting audio on the site. Because I could see my interview with Tony was the smallest file size, I thought I'd start with it to see if it was going to work. So, I thought, "The fans will love this -- an unedited phone interview with Tony DeFranco!"

Problem is, I had forgotten two VERY important things. I had told Tony my husband would edit it before we used it; and I forgot that Tony had, in good faith, given me some personal information in that interview that he didn't want everyone in the entire doggone world to know.

Yes, you guessed it. Me, the DUMBASS, just uploaded that sucker, proudly said, "Look what I can do!!" and didn't think for a moment about those two things.

I violated Tony's trust; and now I have probably managed to become the least favorite person of someone who compelled me to spend every allowance on Tiger Beat magazines. (Heck, I'm still paying 15 bucks apiece on Ebay for them.) If I'd have ever thought Tony DeFranco would know who I was, I'd have died. Now he DOES, and I do just want to die! UGH!

Just as soon as I got an e-mail from Tony yesterday, pointing out my terrible snafu, I removed the DeFranco interview page that was linked from the audio page. Then, I made it worse and told him I thought I'd uploaded the unedited version. How could I explain that it was just out of stupidity and forgetfulness that I put that interview up there with his personal information? It sure wasn't out of any kind of spite or hatefulness or disrespect. It was just because I'm a moron.

OK, if you're still following along, I want Tony and everyone reading this to know that I truly, truly, truly, truly, truly, truly feel like crap for having uploaded that audio file to my site without listening back to it and without asking my husband to go ahead and edit it for me. I feel as though Shrek or someone really huge has kicked me right in the chest and knocked the wind out of me.

I've learned my lesson, but possibly at Tony's expense and may have even threatened his safety and most certainly his privacy. If you are one of the (hopefully) few who listened to the interview on my site and took the time to jot down that personal information and act on it -- don't do it again! There's no need to make the situation worse.

OK, I guess I've said about all I can about that. Now I just pray Tony will forgive me -- and I'll pray, like the scarecrow, for a brain.

My Dad --As many of you know, Dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer in September. He's still in the hospital today, but he is finally starting to progress. Thank you to everyone who has offered prayers and support. It has really helped.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:40 AM, Blogger doodlegirl said…

    awww. I just read your completely sweet, endearing, vulnerable apology. Certainly Tony would forgive you? Who couldn't after that lovely letter, just squeeeeeeeze you with the most warm, loving hug?

    If I could reach out and do that for you in an email, I would do that.

    We've all made mistakes. The hard reminder is to learn from them..

    My heart and thoughts are toward you (and Tony, too).

    Please tell me you've fully recovered!!!

    Shawn

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ya douche bag

     
  • At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You should know what a douche bag is....

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger jennifer said…

    your not a douche bag..just a person who made a mistake..don't we all..forgive yourself and hope all the best for tony and his family!

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Girlfriend, YOU made a huge mistake. However, if Tony forgives you then who are we to not do the same?

     
  • At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh well, such things do happen. To the 1st Anonymous. I hope you're kidding with that crass comment. That's a very rude thing to say.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home